It’s been a rainy weekend which I love! I love staying inside on days like this just to catch up on life, and a homemade dinner tops the day off perfectly. Lentil soup sounded just right because this weekend reminded me of one in Scotland, which is the first place I tried the soup. We were staying at a beautiful castle hotel that happened to have a wonderful restaurant. Oddly, I chose lentil soup with french fries, but it was so delicious!
I’ve since discovered that lentil soup is one of the best and easiest things to make. The lentils are packed with protein and nutrients. Pair with grit cakes and you’re set for a nice warm meal that can even last for a few days.
1. Fill crock pot half way with water
2. Add chopped carrots and celery. The pieces should be medium in size.
3. Add a variety of seasonings like rosemary, basil, oregano, and garlic. I’m not a spicy food fan, but I’m sure you could add touches of spice.
4. Heat on medium for about 3 hours or just enough time for the vegetables to be soft but not mushy.
5. About 30 minutes before you’re ready to eat, add a can of Cream of Mushroom soup and the lentils. Cook lentils until tender.
Note: make sure you wash the lentils before adding to the crock pot.
Grit cakes came about out of necessity. After recently hosting a big brunch, we had a ton of leftover grits (like 8 servings worth). I hate throwing food away, so I got creative and repurposed the grits into “cakes.” Grit cakes are similar to the delicious flat Southern style corn bread, and are so simple (and inexpensive) to make.
1. Mix half a cup of cooked grits, teaspoon of flour, and half a table spoon of butter.
Note: mixture will be creamy, but still have some lumps
2. Pour into greased cast iron griddle to make a pancake-like shape
3. Flip when edges are browned.
Note: the first time we made these, the middle wasn’t done much, but the sides were very crispy. Make sure even out mixture in the griddle and you should have a nice grit cake!
Thank you for reading! Sarah
Subscribe to our email list to receive the latest news, shop & blog updates!