Pumpkin Mac & CheeseIngredients- 1 pound pasta of choice- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour- 2 1/2 + 1/2 cup whole milk, divided- 1 cup pumpkin puree (can use the canned pumpkin mix like for pies)- 4 ounces finely grated Parmesan-Reggiano, plus more as garnish- 4 ounces shredded cheddar- Salt to taste- Freshly ground black pepper Directions1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Pour the pasta and cook until al dente, about 5 to 6 minutes, or as directed per the instructions on the package of pasta. 2. Set a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, add the butter and flour. Cook until the butter melts and a paste forms. Whisk in the 2 1/2 cups of milk and bring the sauce to a very slight boil, whisking the entire time, and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Turn the heat off and allow the milk mixture to cool for about 3 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin and cheeses. If it's a bit too thick, you can add a 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk or even a splash of pasta water to help. Add salt to taste. Then add about 10 rounds of freshly cracked pepper. Give it a taste again and adjust any seasoning that you like. 3. Add the macaroni and toss with the cheesy sauce. Give it another taste and adjust the salt to taste. Garnish with a bit more grated Parmesan and black pepper.
Spiced Hot ChocolateIngredients
- 3/4 cups whole milk or almond milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- Pinch of ground cayenne
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, meltedDirections
1. In small sauce pan add the milk, cinnamon stick, star anise, pinch of salt and sweetened condensed milk. Stir until combined. Bring the milk mixture to a very warm temperature. Immediately turn the heat off and cover. Allow to steep for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a double-boiler or in the microwave. Remove the star anise and cinnamon stick from the milk mixture and pour in the chocolate. Turn the flame to medium-low and whisk in the melted chocolate until combined.
3. Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
I hope you enjoy a nice, cozy date night in!